We encourage you to explore and apply Unity teachings based on your own spiritual understanding. We believe this spiritual understanding is enhanced through reflective prayer and meditation.
The five basic ideas that make up the Unity belief system are:
- God is the source and creator of all. There is no other enduring power. God is good and present everywhere
- We are spiritual beings, created in God’s image. The spirit of God lives within each person; therefore, all people are inherently good.
- We create our life experiences through our way of thinking. Thoughts held in mind produce after their kind.
- Affirmative prayer is the process that affirms our connection with the Mind of God and brings forth wisdom, healing and everything good.
- Knowing and understanding Universal Laws, also called Truth, is not enough. Each person must also live the Truth that he or she knows.
For more information, see Rev. Ellen Debenport's book The Five Principles: A guide to Practical Spirituality.